PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Normalisation of deviance
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2015, 23:58
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My reason for bringing this up is that here in Canada the system is breeding generations of pilots who are brain washed into thinking that unless you have a PPC check ride and the paper work to show you have a given type of airplane on your existing license you can not fly that type commercially, hence we have one or two trick ponies who believe flying a new type of airplane is some kind of black magic that requires you have paper work to fy it.

Now don't get me wrong here, I have no problem with pilots who believe that it is best for them to jump through more and more hoops to be blessed by the bureaucracy that controls their ability to fly for a living. Knowing your limitations is perfectly fine.

I came from a different mindset where if we could demonstrate to a company chief pilot that we knew the limitations and pilot operating instructions for a given airplane and then demonstrated we actually could fly it we could then go to work for that company.

Of course we had to show that our license covered that type and class of airplane, for instance we held a ATPL if we were applying for transport category airplanes.