PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2015, 18:32
Corporal Clott

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
C5

Let me answer those in turn:

Building gliders is very much a skilled hand. New employees would need training and it would take time before the new employees could be productive.
Agreed to small extent. However, there are similar skills needed in small boat, racing cars, motorcycles, other aircraft and bespoke bathroom furniture manufacturing - so man-made fibre with epoxy resin is hardly unique to the glider manufacturing industry. Also, training someone from scratch shouldn't take more than a couple of months and then you use your experienced people as your supervisors.

If they could magic skilled employees out of thing air, would they need another mould or moulds to double production?
Agreed, but not impossible. Either use the original wooden formers to make more moulds or use an extant airframe to make more.

Do they have space on the shop floor for more K21 moulds without sacrificing building their other gliders?
This is the easiest to fix of all - hire another industrial unit!!!

None are insurmountable and would reflect in the A-S and LTB S business models for their quote. I suspect that Paul M's costs would be undercut with a new buy...

...btw, go for a FOI request although I suspect they will redact all of the commercially sensitive bits that you're interested in!

CPL Clott