PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mismanagement of automation
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2015, 16:14
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
I always love it when you guys bang on about how little other than SAR I know - I presently fly and instruct on a single pilot IFR, glasscockpit, helo with a reasonably well appointed (although only 3-axis) AP so guess what - I do understand automation as I teach it and assess its use.

You also fail to see past the steam driven Sea Kings of old and still think of it in Mk31 AFCS terms because you weren't flying and instructing on the Mk3A with its duplex digital AFCS that was a very big step up in flexibility and capability.

Automation and the management of it in helicopters isn't new, cutting edge or a black art - believing that it is the only safe way to fly the helicopter is a worrying new fashion though.

Trying to belittle those that have a contrary view to the ivory tower offshore Gods is not a good basis for improving skills or safety but doubtless you know better than me about that as well.

I have been a civilian pilot for over a year now and seem to be managing quite nicely - the unfortunate thing I keep seeing is that civilian flyers often look down on the military way of doing things - don't ask me why.