PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Normalisation of deviance
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2015, 18:50
eckhard

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pilot DAR

Hear, hear!!

It's been my experience that as the aircraft that I flew grew larger and more complicated, the checklists became shorter and more relevant. I think that reflects the better training courses and emphasis on briefing and crew co-operation that pertained on bigger machines and which perhaps was missing on the smaller types.

I agree that flight-school checklists have evolved into quasi-Operation Manuals, that try to instruct the pilot in the method to operate the aircraft, rather than providing an easy reference that the pilot may consult before committing him/herself to the next phase of flight operations. As you so aptly say, 'configuration assurance' should be the key message.

Example: I remember seeing a B.767 checklist. The 'Before Take-off' checklist had one item on it:

Stab Trim ----- ______units

I think that everything else was left to a 'scan flow' and reliance on the TOCW system.

The trouble with checklists is that manufacturers use them to cover their corporate a$$es, students use them to help them figure out how to fly the plane and instructors who fly multiple types in one day find them unnecessarily prescriptive and difficult to manage. What is the answer?

For simple, small aircraft, I feel that in the 'ideal world' rather than trying to tailor the checklist to the aircraft, one should try to tailor the checklist to the user. In other words, each pilot should be presented with a checklist that best serves his/her needs. For large aircraft, or multi-pilot operations, especially those that involve pilots flying together who have never met (freelance/contract operations), the checklist must reflect 'best practice' on that type.

As we don't live in this 'ideal world', my suggestion may seem an impossibility; however, some critical items (FASTER, TAFFIOHH, BUMPFGH?) lend themselves to almost any type and I would certainly recommend, 'controls full and free', 'flaps set' and 'fuel supply' to the before take-off list. Similarly, I would include, 'gear down, brakes off, flaps set' to any before landing checklist. Everything else is gravy.

Maybe individual pilots should develop their own checklists for the types that they operate? I see the big problem with that: two pilots flying together by chance who both have their own and different checklist. As I said previously, this solution really only lends itself to the single-pilot, simple aircraft.

But if the training organisations could manage to instill a basic 'survival kit' into their students, on top of all the other requirements that they are obliged to fulfil, we might find fewer of these appalling and unnecessary accidents in the future.