PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drones threatening commercial a/c?
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2015, 11:46
cwatters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember the recent (Dec. 22, 2015) incident in which the world’s best downhill skier almost got hit by a 22-pound camera drone operated by a newsman that fell out of the sk ust behind the skier? (It apparently fell because of radio interference.)
Humm. I've been a model flyer on and off for 40 years. It's very common to claim interference caused a crash.... Oh look I have no control therefore it must be interference and can't possibly be my fault... when in reality there could be any number of causes. Low receiver battery, faulty wiring, faulty mechanics, unseen previous crash damage etc

I haven't bothered to investigate what model of drone was involved in the above incident but don't many that size claim to have some sort of fail safe, hover on the spot or return to base function in the event of loss of valid signal? Why didn't that work?

If Amazon end up making 20,000 flights an hour (see above) then they will need to be exceptionally reliable to avoid having a lot of crashes. One crash per million flights equates to about one crash a week. Would most be over cities? Would that be acceptable?