PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Normalisation of deviance
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2015, 16:22
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Normalization of deviance got them onto the runway with the controls still locked but continuing with the takeoff after it was obvious things were wrong is not normalization of deviance, it is expectation bias.

The crew knew the controls were locked and tried to fixed the situation with a made up procedure while the aircraft was accelerating down the runway.

I believe that was because both crew were highly experienced both in flying experience and time on type. I think their unconscious expectations was that no matter what happened they could fix it on the fly and continue.

I raise that point because I see this attitude occasionally expressed in posts on the this site. Pilots who think that they are going to save the aircraft from damage after the engine fails is one example of the attitude I am talking about.

One unfortunate part of this accident summary is that it is easy to make it a black and white discussions. This crews action were so wrong in so many obvious ways it is easy to say "well I will never be that dumb !" so nothing here for me to learn.

The reality though is many accidents start with a more subtle scenario and by the time the pilot realizes they are in trouble it is too late.......

One of things I encourage my students to do after they have gotten their licenses is to make a conscious effort to review each flight and identify things that they made a mistake on, or could have done better.

My 02 cents

Ultimately being a "safe pilot" is not one thing it is IMHO a state of mind. Safe flying comes from make an effort on every flight to be the best pilot you can and not accepting poor personal performance. More flying experience makes it easier but does not lessen the requirement.