PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Normalisation of deviance
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2015, 14:35
Armchairflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The idea of normalization of deviance is also a central idea in Sidney Dekker's "Drift into Failure" (e.g., pp. 103ff.). Besides the Challenger accident, two other cited cases include Alaska Airlines 261 and a friendly fire incident in Iraq in 1994.

IMHO this is not a typical case, however. As I understand, one core element of normalization of deviance is (organizational) pressure towards increased productivity at the expense of time-consuming and/or costly safety procedures (what Reason terms "production vs. protection"). Granted, I am merely a hobby pilot, thus free from the pressures of commercial flying. Still, I fail to see any benefit (individual or organizational) gained from not moving the yoke during preflight, let alone continuing the takeoff even though something seems blatantly amiss with elements as crucial as engines and flight controls. And this with cabin crew and pax on board? Hard for me to disagree with the idea of this being involuntary manslaughter rather than a "normal" accident.