PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Andy Hill interviewed
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2015, 23:28
NutLoose

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,253 Posts
Wokkamate, basically it's down to sh*t happens, a myriad of things that can all align to create an accident.
The legislation, life ex cartridges etc, did not cause the accident nor have any relevance to it, it is simply the way the CAA / AAIB operate in the blame culture we all now live in, which hopefully will bring forth tangible and constructive changes...
Far from the blame game the above bodies play, one would hope it brings about changes where they clarify exactly the requirements, because reading that report it reads as if the organisation was attempting to get the definitive answer from the CAA, but they were lacking in clarifying them early on... Not that they would have effected the outcome one iota.
I totally agree with A&C re life of items and their environment. I do not know how much experience you all have on the Civilian side of things re lifed items etc, but they do vary.
As an example Lycoming life the 0-235 engine at 2400 hrs / 12 years before overhaul, the CAA under GR24 allow you to extend that life by 20% for commercially operated engines to 2880 Hrs, but if you operate it privately then the CAA under GR 24 then give it an unlimited life on condition.
What I am trying to put across is not all original manufacturers lives are mandatory on the civil side of things.
The likes of Warbirds etc certain companies can and do relife seals, bolts etc.. they are simply not made anymore and where I have to bin seals at their lives, be it 10, 15 or 20 years, they can reinspect them and recertify them, unless things have changed.

Last edited by NutLoose; 24th Dec 2015 at 23:46.