PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attack at Sabiha Gokcen
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2015, 05:02
msbbarratt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So hide the news is better? I am sure all would-be totalitarian governments are with you on that...
Back in the 1980s / 90s when the IRA were making a lot of nuisance bomb warnings on the London Underground the government persuaded the British press to not report the events. Worked a charm; with no publicity they gave up. A cynic would suggest that they were able to persuade the press and media to do this because they themselves were being personally affected by the disruption.

The ban on broadcasting the voices of people like Gerry Adams was intended to achieve the same effect, but the BBC and others got all haughty about freedom of the press and subverted it by using the voices of actors. Don't ever believe that the media acts in anything other than its own interests first... There's only a few niche publications that have made a reputation for publishing only in the public interest (Private Eye being a prime example) their main selling point. Hislop for PM I say.

Fortunately the policing and political effort against Northern Irish terrorism was becoming increasingly effective.

Though I reckon the most effective thing was that the likes of Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness realised they had no pension plan, and that elected and practising politicians can vote themselves almost any pension scheme they want.

Pension planning doesn't work against those who have no intention to live that long in the first place...

Practically the only real reason anyone goes and shoots up Paris or a school or cinema in the States, or blows up a plane, etc is for the publicity. It's the price we pay for a free press, open Internet, Twitter, etc. The distasteful thing is that the press, media and Internet service operators and Uber all make money out of these dreadful events. One questions how much interest they have in such events being prevented. The role of the press and media in keeping governments honest is still important, though these days there's very little in that line of journalism that makes sellable news stories

It's mixed coverage for this story at the moment. Barely a mention on the BBC, still a big story in the Telegraph. I've no idea about regional coverage in Turkey.

Last edited by msbbarratt; 24th Dec 2015 at 05:21.