PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What "Management is missing"
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2015, 13:40
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Ha ha - that's brilliant Busy B. I'm going to nick that!

Having said that, you need to look at many factors to work out how someone is going to perform in a unusual attitude upset recovery. I'm frequently surprised how many pilots out there have not seen an attitude over 60 degrees bank. The Cadets have all done at least 5 hours UART training and have learned how to recover from extreme attitudes. Your GA pilot may have never. If/when the big upset occurs, those who have experienced it before are less likely to succumb to the 'Startle factor'. I'm not sure how many pilots will cope, but UART will be a major head start in the mitigation process.

Upset Recovery Training (UPRT) is going to become mandatory in EASA land - and not before time. It's evidence based training at the grass roots level. Some may deride the 'military' style handling - but you have to remember that the manoeuvre that snapped the vertical stabiliser off the AA A300 was learned from a video - and executed by a pilot who had never practiced it before.

We are still very much in the learning process where these situations are concerned. But my money would be on the ex-military pilot having the better outcome.