PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best Airline Meal
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2015, 09:51
ATNotts

Received 297 Likes on 167 Posts
During the '90's VS did operate a 747-100 (IA) named latterly 'Spirit of Sir Freddie' which had previously been with Highland Express (G-HIHO), a company which of course played a part in the creation of VS.
If I recall correctly it was actually Virgin that (in a very small way) spawned Highland Express, in so far as one of the founders if Highland was a guy who's name I believe was Randolph Fields who was one of Richard Bransons partners at the birth of Virgin (as opposed to a Virgin birth!).

Sadly Highland was a complete fiasco, with delays in delivery of a refurbished, knackered 747 in the form of G-HIHO, and the first couple of months services from BHX being operated by Flights Coaches to Gatwick, Stansted or wherever else Highland could buy seats for the passengers that were booked. I was one of them, bumped on to a Tower Air 747 from STN on the outward, and (rather better) a Virgin 747 on the return to LGW. Would Highland have fared better had they aircraft been delivered on time for the start of operations? Who knows, but my gut feeling is, no not much.

Coming back on thread - sometimes it's the small things - and for me the wonderful smell of warm croissants that greeted you when you boarded the CTA MD87 (operating for Swissair) at BHX headed for Zürich on the morning flight. The croissants themselves weren't bad either.