PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1 or 2 steering tillers?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2015, 00:34
Linktrained

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The training for a F/O on Hermes in Britavia was done with the PF in LHS which had the only nose wheel steering control, electrically selected, but hydraulically powered. The Chief Pilot sat in the RHS. The F/E set up the power I requested.

As F/O LHS I was required to have my right hand just forward of the throttles so that if I needed to close the them before V1 the F/E would have a tactile confirmation of this, in case he had failed to hear my command.

My " Legal Six" T/Os and Landings took 1 hour and 5 minutes at Blackbushe, which was not busy.

A couple of days later, together with another equally well trained (and also new) F/O we three flew together to Singapore and return ( 71 .50 in 10 sectors.) I did some other flights with other crews to Nairobi etc. to do some 120 hours in that first November.

ALL T/O and landings were done by the pilot who was sitting in the LHS, who might be a Captain or F/O.

Years later later a similar system of seating was usual on Caledonian Airways DC7c and Britannia fleets, right from the start of that Company. Both aircraft types had a SINGLE nose wheel steering. The flying part of the T/R was much more comprehensive and took longer too!

( One perhaps unusual technique required on the Zambian Oil Lift, required the Britannia to be REVERSE TAXiED to an unloading bay.
THE PILOTS MUST HAVE BOTH FEET ON THE FLOOR ,,,,,
TO STOP GOING BACKWARDS ASK THE F/E TO CANCEL REVERSE AND GIVE ME FORWARD THRUST.!)

LT

Last edited by Linktrained; 23rd Dec 2015 at 01:10. Reason: bits added