PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 22nd Dec 2015, 23:17
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
brown is down, blue is up

Dunno about the 'bird or Rat, but this is the attitude indicator I had to use in the T-33 and later in the first A-37 jets over in 'nam.

No horizon shades for up or down , just the roll arrow and the two legs on roll line.

Our IP's taught us to use "bar widths" for piitch when doing an ILS or PAR. After that, they taught us to use the small black line that surrounded the yellow main one, heh heh. Then they covered up most of our stuff and we were needle, ball and IAS. Gotta love it.

As many here have opined, we are losing basic airmanship skills and experience. Dunno what we can do about it except for we slf's to stop flying behind these nuggets, but I am getting more and more nervous.

Some here have opined that stall onset should be easy to recognize. I take issue with that opinion, as many of the new designs have subltle warning signs. The FBW types may even have more subtle warning signs due their super compensation for all kindsa stuff when the primary mode/law. The 'bus seems to be very gentle, and my Viper was so smooth that first deep stall was a surprise to a highly experienced test pilot. Testimony on request, but was posted on the AF447 thread. .... out!