PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - refusing access to class D airspace?!?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2003, 19:27
Final 3 Greens

Bex

The Reason I said non SSR equipped was to make the point that TCAS does not "see" non equipped a/c, making the task of the hypothetical B737 crew MUCH more difficult.
I'm well aware of this and also the possibility for spurious TA/RA - for this reason I am always very careful to go to standby on the ground at airports and also to use the transponder appropriately at other times.

If you can fit non transponder traffic in your airspace safely that's fine (I'll bow to your knowledge/judgement), but whilst monitoring Essex (formerly Stansted), they regularly decline non transponder a/c and I can't argue with their logic (once telephoned them , asked politely why and had a full and reasonable explanation from an ATCo pleased that a GA pilot had called in.)

[QUOTE]Your point[QUOTE]

Please note : It may not be safe to grant you access and the safer option FOR YOU may well be to spend perhaps 5 minutes more routing around the CTR. Or is a 5 minute saving worth the risk?

[QUOTE]My point in earlier mail[QUOTE]

personally I try to avoid class D as part of that deal, using it rarely and appreciating the benefits it gives all involved

Eggs

Now, I am being childish, I know, but really: what do u expect when u seem to imply that light aircraft operating in a final approach area is simply "more challenging" for all concerned?!!!
Err - well that's not what I said actually, but now you say it, it is done safely in many areas, but LAX was the best example I experienced.

And you still haven't grasped my airmanship point, so I'll assume that you are a terranian, to quote a suitable memory from my childhood as you seem still to be in yours