PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hot refueling offshore Newfoundland a hot topic!
Old 22nd Dec 2015, 13:47
Niner Lima Charlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot Refueling in the Good Old Days.

For the benefit of all you young helo pilots (the ones still in nappies), back in olden times (1960 - 1970) in the GOM we self refueled our copters on unmanned oil rigs with rotors turning. These were all single-pilot flown helicopters.

Friction down the collective and cyclic at idle and climb out. The US Army taught us to do that in primary flight training, solo flights into confined areas. Climb out and walk around the LZ. Don't shut down the Hiller or Hughes, let it idle.

Self refueling on the oil platforms was often required due to high winds that prevented a normal shut down, even with a rotor brake. Fuel requirements were enough to destination (might only be 5 miles away), then to a fuel platform (might be the destination platform), plus 20 minutes. The onshore base might be over an hour away. Even some of the onshore fuel sites were unmanned.

Refueling the Bell 47 series with AVGAS while the stabilizer bar spun just above your head, was a bit exciting. The BH-206A got light on the front skids without the pilot. The BH-204 with the big sausage floats liked to roll side-to-side in the wind. But with all the hundreds of self refuelings accomplished everyday, 7 days a week, for many years....and not one incident that I recall.

Add to that the many times I had to self refuel when flying in remote areas of Alaska or the jungles. Don't want to shut down in this very remote site. What if it fails to restart? No radio contact. Might be stuck here for a long time. At least with piston airplanes I could hand prop the airplane even with a dead battery, but not a turbine helicopter.