PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 22nd Dec 2015, 08:40
Uplinker

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts
Agree with most of that, except I don't agree that "we're doing a good job of training stall recovery" - it's just that SOPs usually keep us out of trouble. I think that perhaps (note to self) rather than inventing all sorts of extra attention getters that will probably also be ignored by an undertrained, under experienced and panicking mind; the fundamental point here is that :

PILOTS SHOULD NOT PULL UP WHEN THEIR AIRCRAFT STALLS

When stalling is "trained" in the SIM, the trainee is typically told 'Right, we are going to do some stalls now. This is what you will see, this is how you get out of it. Ready? OK, here we go'. 'Hmm, yes, not too bad, let's try it again. That's better, good. {Tick}. Right, on to the next item.............'

So this is one for the TRIs, TREs and Training Managers: Do your pupils really, truly understand what they have just done? You are in the SIM and you have just told them they are going to stall. There is nothing else going on to distract them. You have explained what to look for, how to recover, and......they do it! Brilliant, they are now fully trained to recognise and escape from any stall {Tick}.

BUT, Will that cadet pilot be able to instinctively do the right thing six months later, on a dark and dirty night when they are not expecting to stall and have not been primed to react correctly? Over to you, Training Captains.

I remember when a very experienced training Captain did an absolutely textbook incipient stall recovery, (hello Rolf!). He had got slightly slow in the base turn, and neither of us had noticed owing to distractions (another note to self!) The stick shaker started and he instantly dipped the nose and gently applied power - perfect. Mind you, he did a lot of stunt flying at airshows and competitions, so he was well practised.

Last edited by Uplinker; 22nd Dec 2015 at 08:58.