PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ CAA prosecuting 'rescue' pilot
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2015, 08:01
Hughes500

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
SS

Lets keep this going as another ****e windy day. The reason I am playing devils advocate with you reference risk and speeding is very close to home. This time last year my 23 year old niece 6 weeks before her wedding was decapitated in an RTA. The other vehicle in the words of the police was travelling too fast round a bend and had a head on collision. That other driver could have been you speeding, could have been me speeding. That other driver could have been anyone who is prepared to speed and brake the law. So all you guys sitting there being hypocritical about legal matters are being very hypocritical as you all break the law, thankfully the risk of killing someone is slim, but you increase the risk by doing so, so why do you ? In Mr A's case yes he broke the law ( remember we are JUST looking at this flight only ), yes he was a serial offender and should be prosecuted for his general actions. Should he have flown that particular flight, well given the information I have seen and if he was told by a doctor that this was a life threatening situation then yes he should have flown it.
I was shot down by TC in a comparison which was to show life is always a risk. ( The flip side of the military example I gave was the situation shown in lone survivor, a rescue mission that ended with a whole seal team killed in the CH 47, yes I know it is combat and they accepted the risk BUT they were going to try and help a fellow human being as Mr A was) Yes we try to minimise risk where we can, hence there are laws, medicals etc etc but we are human and infallible and Thankfully so otherwise where do we go as a race. We would have the situation where persons will not try and rescue a drowning person because they are not trained as happened over here !
Unfortunately there will not always be a successful outcome
As for the crass part of being a hero and getting medals post, that never even crossed my mind before or after I had to rescue a body boarder who was drowning. If I hadn't swum him back to shore ( the physically most demanding thing I have ever done )then he would have drowned.
Was I a qualified life saver/ life guard NO but I was not prepared to see someone drown in front of me.
I am afraid in my eyes there is a risk to everything we do, but to sit there and do nothing is wrong. To pontificate about someone breaking the law when we all do is laughable.Mr A weighed up the risk and went for it. In that case he shoulnt be prosecuted. He should be prosecuted for breaking the laws in the other none humanitarian flights he flew.
Think I will go back to the looking at the trees bending over