PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 21st Dec 2015, 22:52
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DREAM ON
An MD82 stalled at high altitude over Venezuela and with stick shaker rattling all the way, the interconnected yoke was pulled fully back until the ground was hit..........................
Yeah, surely, interconnecting side sticks and providing stick shakers or haptic buzzers on them is gonna save Airbusses from pilots stalling them.
EMIT,
This old Phantom Phlyer used his rudder shaker to good advantage in the busy traffic pattern around his aircraft carrier. It was one of two signals telling him to add power after pulling power to dirty up in the break over the ship. (The other signal was the GIB with his sarcastic, "Don't you think you need to power up?") Haptic signals like that rudder shaker are good triggers for a properly trained conditioned response. The real problem is that we have a lot of poorly trained pilots out there, and some of them have a lot of flight time. How to fix that training problem is going to take a big investment and a lot of study. In the meantime, the best we can do will be to avoid rattling their heads too badly.

I can tell you that I am here, still making trouble, because when the chips were down, I did not snatch the stick back as the ground was rushing up. It is all in the training. Flying properly is an intellectual enterprise, not a rote response task. The thinking, calculating mind must be in control.