PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 21st Dec 2015, 20:44
CONSO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation RE Haptic Stall warning

uplinker said
On Airbus sidesticks, there is a small oval panel at the top secured by two screws. It appears to have no function, except as a place to rest one's thumb.

It seems to me that this panel could be replaced by a vibrating element, like that found in mobile phone batteries - to give tactile feedback to a pilot that his plane is stalling. The logic to identify the stall already exists - to give the "stall stall" warning, so one only needs to use that to energise a vibrating element in the side stick to create a haptic attention getter - like that of a stick shaker.
From this mere SLF- what a great idea. Why doesn't everyone join in and send letter or petition to Airbus re this elegant solution- perhaps it could be patented. I use the vibrate on my cell phone in my pocket and it does get my attention. IMHO a heavy duty version set at a freq which would NOT interfere with electronics tied to stick, etc would be ' relatively' simple to check and perhaps incorporate or retrofit.

But it wont happen until enough pros jump up and down and SHAKE THE BCRATS INTO ACTION