PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado Replacement
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2015, 17:48
msbbarratt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to say no chance, however, it seems weights are pretty close, the EJ is 2 and a bit feet longer, but a bit slimmer. Don't see how they could incorporate TR, but those dimensions do allow some fettling room for adaptors or airframe changes. The intake matching may be the biggest problem, along with all that extra power that would probably exceed the thrust mounting design limits.
So it would stick out the end a bit, the tin work round the intakes may have to change, and they'd have to put a bigger end stop on the throttle lever. Doesn't sound like a complete no-no...

Perhaps if they left the intake design alone that might take care of the too-much-thrust problem?!

In the good ol' days they'd just sling a different engine in just to see what happened. Pretty difficult with the current layouts. I guess one advantage of pylon engine pods (B58 Hustler) is that you could improvise pretty easily. Perhaps we should be designing aircraft to look like that. Also I guess with the Sukhoi designs the engines are nearly podded below the air frame.