PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The new law on "ageism" - where does it leave pilots and crew who want to carry on!?
Old 8th Jul 2003, 17:51
Stability Jane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From another point of view.

My husband retired last year after a long career as a fast jet pilot in the Air Force, and latterly as a 747 Training Captain. He has always had many interests outside of aviation, and although he busier now, he seems to have regressed in years as he wallows in the pleasure from his various hobbies. We do have a share in an aerobatic aircraft so that he can occasionaly indulge himself in what he refers to as real flying, the reason for his initial interest in flying, as opposed to "truck driving" with hours spent with a "numb bum" in the cruise.

He has enjoyed his careers, but is now much more relaxed as he also has the time to spend with the children, and grandchildren. No more long trips, and the aftermath zombie moods!

On the other hand, our young nephew is a junior First Officer on the 747, and although he enjoys it, he also NEEDS the income from his job to cover his family expenses. Yes, my husband has been lucky careerwise, but he also saved for retirement, and so does not NEED to go to work for another income. So as he says, he thinks it unreasonable to prolong his numb bum syndrone at the expense of blocking a younger persons job prospect.

There are others who have not been as fortunate as us, and for those, I fully agree that they should be able to continue working. But for those in a similar situation as ourselves, enjoy the sailing, golfing, travelling, kitcar building, pub lunches, undisturbed romantic interludes etc etc., and LEAVE THE JOBS FOR THOSE WHO REALLY NEED THEM.