PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A.S.T. Perth (Scone) 1966
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2015, 16:02
KayKay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
April 1965

I did an ATC flying scholarship at Perth from 1 to 29th April 1965 so must have been there at the same time as MCDHU (post #10). There were six of us but one left after a couple of flights. Accommodation was tight so we were put up in the sick bay.

The only name I remember was Primrose. I do recall one guy was on a Special Flying Award and one was a Sea Cadet, the rest of were ATC or CCF. As we were in uniform the Sea Cadet said he felt a bit of a pratt climbing in and out of a C150 in his bell bottom blues !

The instructors were Peddell and Lockhart - Gordon Lockhart, know as "Gee". They were both excellent. Did my PPL test with Pooch Nugent. I recall he was a big chap and hardly left any room for me in the C150. I remember being taken into Bob Critchley's office at the end of the course and introduced to him in respectful tones. It was like meeting royalty.

Two guys got to do their training on Chipmunks. They were chosen on the basis of previous Chipmunk experience. I had probably more than either of them but couldn't prove it as I had not kept a log of air experience flights in my ATC ID booklet. Big mistake !

I enjoyed the whole experience immensely. Some good nights in pubs in Perth and also visiting QV School in Dunblane with one of the guys who was an FP. We also toured about the countryside in a mini-bus one of the guys borrowed from his mother in Blairgowrie. I went back to Perth the following year to keep my licence current and flew with Bob McAuliffe.

I didn't make my career in flying but I still fly PA28s at Fife airfield.
Chris Anderson

Last edited by KayKay; 21st Dec 2015 at 16:17.