PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ CAA prosecuting 'rescue' pilot
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2015, 12:27
Hughes500

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
SS
The point is that you have for instance, probably broken the speed limit,intentionally or not, but by doing so you have put other lives at risk. Now yes the risk maybe small but you are guilty of breaking a law and serially. So you would be in a very hypocritical position.
This all comes back to the circumstance on the day and the impossibility of anyone here weighing up the risk probability. Yes he broke the law, no one disagrees, the question is should he have done. I certainly can't weigh up the probability of him having a heart attack while flying, I doubt anyone could.
Now agreed if he has serially broken the law yes he should be prosecuted, but we have to look at this case in isolation. If we don't then what message does it send to everyone.
To go to the logical conclusion let us take an EASA example, I am told that the only chance someone has of living is to use a single engine heli when flight viz is say1000m. If I say no which is the correct legal thing to do then he dies. If I say yes than I am prosecuted for busting the 1500 m flight viz law.
So please correct me if I am wrong here are you saying that I shouldn't go ?