PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 21st Dec 2015, 09:07
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All this talk about various Laws gives me a headache, because I'm a Boeing oldie. What do other FBW a/c have? e.g. B777 and even military a/c. Is this the common FBW family of in-laws & out-laws or just an AB thing?
What is certain is FBW is here to stay and will most likely become the standard control system in future a/c. Should there not be a common specification for all the 'laws' and how they do things? With FBW & EFIS & EICAS and and .......etc.. in mind I suggest there should be a total review/overhaul of how the pilots for these new a/c are trained. I also suggest that every operator follows the same syllabus designed but the manufacturer, who, after lengthy discussions with the authorities have an approved course. (designers are not always the best at deciding how an a/c should be 'operated' on a line basis. They know how to fly it.) This would emphasise how the a/c was designed to be flown, operated basically, and would then go into all the non-normals and especially all the traps that can catch you out. THEN, and only then would company SOP's be introduced. I've had to teach a real variety of TR syllabi on same/similar Boeing a/c. It is astonishing how some people try to reinvent the wheel and emphasise the SOP over how the a/c was designed to fly/be operated, and how different those SOP's can be to achieve the same task.
Redesigning the basic CPL might be more difficult. At that stage you don't know where or what the pilot us going to fly. They could be single crew air taxi guys, biz-jet pilots or airliners. Each has their own skills. It is easier to oversee airlines with their in-house training depts; less so with the fringe operators. It is not a one size fits all answer; not after the basic PPL and early CPL training.