PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2015, 23:33
Danny42C

Small World !

Geriaviator
and Walter,
...Maybe it was kindly Nature which blinded you to the showers of flying metal...
Or maybe simple stupidity:
"If you can keep your head, when all about you,
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
....then you don't appreciate the gravity of the situation...

Regarding the Link, I suppose there's no accounting for taste ! But seriously, what do you two experts on it know about the Edmunds Trainer, which caused a few puzzled frowns on this Thread long ago ? (It was a bolt-on gubbins on the Link, apparently - Google leads to:
...Edmunds Trainers - RAF Commands RAF Commands | The meeting place for RAF Researchers › Forum › General Category
22 Mar 2012 - 2 posts - ‎1 author Is anyone able to shed any light on "Edmunds Trainers"? RAF Long Newnton (Wiltshire) had a "Link Trainer and Edmunds Trainer" Building...
This elicited a response from our good comrade Petet, who is a researcher sans pareil (and has been particularly helpful to me [Pete, the RAFBF is £20 to the good, hope that's about right] and states inter alia: ... it was invented by F/O Morgan Rice Edmondes)...
By one of those amazing coincidences which you would not dare to invent, Wing Commander M.R. Edmondes was in 1945 the senior RAF Liaison Officer to Colonel Phillips, the Commandant of the Chemical Defence Research Establishment at Cannanore (on the Malabar coast, 150 mi N of Cochin). As I had a small Flight there to provide the air component, Wg Cdr Edmondes and I worked closely together, although he was not my CO as he was "outside the loop" (I was responsible direct to the SASO of 225 Group in Bangalore). I remember him as a charming and helpful friend, who was a pleasure to work with.

I'm sorry to say that my log tells me that I did three 30 min sessions on an Edmunds Trainer at OTU in August,'42, but I've absolutely no recollection of what it was or what I did, and later in 1945, of course, would have had no idea that the Wg Cdr was the inventor.

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 20th Dec 2015 at 23:47. Reason: Typo,