PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was the oldest airplane you flew?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2003, 16:38
CamelPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flown a Sopwith Camel, two in fact, one with a Clerget engine, a Spad, Albatross, a DR1 (Fokker Tri-Plane) and a Airco D.H.2. Not old in the real sense, all replicas from days with Leisure Sport in 1977/9. All were true to their breeding though, except the Spad which required an inordinate amount of front end 'ballast' due to a design fault at the Augsburg factory where it was built. There was also a Fairchild Argus which was a treat to fly. Still about today with 'Low 'n Slow' I think.

I did also fly a Staggerwing at Redhill. Can't remember the owners name - but he was rich.

G-ACDC at the Tiger Club was rebuilt many times one way and another but it is still flying at the TC - now at Headcorn. I have around 200hrs on that.

I flew in the Turb formation at the Tiger Club and the memories have been bought back by Hairy, regarding balloon bursting, flour bombing, streamer cutting and 'under the hoop'. We also did a tied together formation. Most times we got the four-ship back to Redhill with the ties still on. When they got broke, the one 'wot did it' bought the beer at the local.

Treadders is right about the toilet roll cutting an engine. It was at Bembridge, (although there MAY have been a similar incident at F'boro as he suggests) when one Robin Voice had a sheet of a toilet roll ingested into the carb and he made a forced landing - broke the u'carriage I think. I think he would have liked the toilet roll on board at that point!!

Ah! Those were indeed the days.