PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FD in a stall
Thread: FD in a stall
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2015, 19:43
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uplinker: In quite a subtle way, it would send a message throughout the industry saying "This is what we want you to do, and we are going to let you practice it (conditions permitting)".

If it is not mandated, a significant number of us will never do it, and that is how we lose our skills.

I'm with you in your goal. It will not be easy to achieve, but the hardest step on a long journey is the first one, and that is often half the difficulty. The 3x autoland logging is mandated, so perhaps that could be a start point. I doubt the airlines in general will introduce it. Those who think like us already encourage it. This who don't never will unless mandated by XAA. And then, who is the dog and who is the tail?
I suspect the autoland log idea came about because it was a new technology; similar to ETOPS. The XAA's didn't really understand either and so legislation was needed to set higher than normal standards. Look now how much of training operational standards have been diluted. Now there is >3hrs ETOPS. 20 years ago this was heresy. The MPL course is 40% less than CPL's in 80's. That would have been heresy to old HOT's with in-house training schools. Engineering standard qualifications are reduced. There are fewer top licensed one at main bases. So much in the last 20 years has been diluted. In this quest you are asking for a raising of the game. I support you and salute the idea. With less piloting experience in EASA & XAA's I have to be pessimistic.
A good idea needs a plan of implementation. Let us know what you think.