PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 20th Dec 2015, 17:47
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In normal flight, pull back stick == plane climbs up.
Peekay, If we have pilots flying who when stressed, revert to that simplistic mode of thinking, then we have unqualified pilots flying aircraft! Period.

I graduated from the USN fast jet school of training where I learned to overcome the sensation of sitting in a waste basket while I flew instruments and to fly intellectually-because your physical sensations were not to be trusted. Later, as an instructor, I would have washed out any pilot that could not measure up to this basic standard. (They would only have gone on to kill themselves and others.)

If we cannot properly qualify pilots to actually take direct control of an aircraft, then we had darned well better not be putting those guys occupying the seats with the best view into that position. The airframe folks are going to have to ensure that their aircraft never gives up to the point where it has to pass highly degraded control to the "pilots". There is a body of evidence building to suggest that an improper transition to Airbus Alternate Law-Roll Direct can become a highly degraded condition. Do we need more accidents to prove the thesis?