PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2015, 14:33
Danny42C

Geriaviator (your #7916) and Walter,
...Interesting to hear you had ground simulators for radar training, I had not heard of these...
In 1951 we had ground radar simulators for training our auxiliary Radar Ops. It was a mock-up of the equipment they had "down the hole" at Seaton Snook, where every Sunday they interpreted the radar returns from the CH towers at Danby Beacon and other sites.

At Thornaby, we had the old Coastal Command Operations block, which converted easily into a mock-up Sector Operations Room. In the centre large room was the plotting table, our Fighter Plotters with their croupier's rakes, each girl with a headset linking her to her "Op", the mock radars in a separate room behind and the trainee Fighter Controllers in the gallery above. It was quite convincing in full cry on an exercise.

Walter,
...I was very keen on the Link Trainer. I went to it whenever I was allowed and enjoyed "driving" that machine...
Walter, you can't mean that ! The Link was an instrument of Satan, it "flew" like no aircraft that ever was or ever will be and its only value was as a procedures trainer, IMHO.

Cheers, Danny.