PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best laptop for presentations
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2015, 23:19
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I got a bargain (Craigslist) i5 ASUS while I was in Texas. I described it as a shard of metal. So thin you could slice yer fingers off with it.

Normally about $1,400 I picked it up for $300 ish. It was superb - BUT, it's memory was soldered in as was its battery. The OS key was embedded into the computer and nothing I could do would make ASUS or MS give me the key so that I might restore the OS, if for instance, it needed a reinstall when I was miles from base. And believe me, I tried as only an old git with too much time on his hands could try. Finally, MS took pity on me and sold me a full copy of 8.1 for $45. Not too bad really.

The 1080 res was blindingly good into an ASUS 21" monitor. Never seen the likes of it before or after, but on its own screen I needed times three readers to see what was what. The touch screen did what it said on the box, but as one who'd always slapped the hands of people that touched screens, I'm not at all sure about the idea.

It seems the next model - sorry, it looks like the one in the above review but all I can remember was that it was a B - Fixed the soldering problems but not the OS. Maybe the F is the sixth iteration.

Lovely bit of kit for thems that could afford to take it in for service.