PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2015, 23:15
LowObservable

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
a1bill - As I have explained before, I haven't even started being rude. But if being called a "pettifogging Polyanna of positivism" (which obviously was a response to KenV's allusion to the wit and wisdom of ex-VP Agnew) hurts your sensitive feelings, I will do it again and again.

Again, put simply: if 2016 orders stay around 96, then the "extra" F-35s are being bought to substitute for the missing partner/FMS orders, avoiding a cost increase (since LL items have been bought, it would be quite steep) that would imperil other hoped-for orders.

The next question: are the on-US orders just running a little late, or is the projected late-decade surge (320 jets through the 2020 order year) a mirage? I guess we'll find out. Maybe the Turks will sign on for all their 100 airplanes.

That has little to do with ACC's concern about its ability to afford a sustained 60-80 jets in the out-years and even less to do with the potential for a bridge buy of older types. In fact, it doesn't seem that the AF and Navy are particularly enthused, as the AF is getting only three of the extras and the Navy two.

Last edited by LowObservable; 17th Dec 2015 at 23:28.