PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 17th Dec 2015, 11:56
ExV238

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that clarification. I certainly agree with you that a heavy pull on the stick at high altitude to avoid an overspeed is inadvisable. But let's not underplay the risks of exceeding VD/MD. And I'm talking about a real overspeed here, not a falsely indicated one in the unreliable airspeed case.

The Part 25 VD/MD tests require the dive to be held for 20 seconds, which isn't that long really, and at less than full power. The testing is one aspect of determining VD/MD, but be clear that the aircraft won't have been flown above that speed.

The extreme AoAs reached in the Air Asia and AF cases were the result of pulling and holding the aircraft into the stall. A correct recovery flown at the point of stall warning, or even at the stall itself, will not lead to such AoA, or to huge altitude losses.

What I'm saying is that the stall case is recoverable, but that the result of flutter probably won't be.

You're not Buzz Aldrin, by any chance?!