PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mismanagement of automation
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2015, 10:08
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S92 story - horrific. The SFI's teaching that need a word in their shell-like. I hope someone has spoken to FSI about that. We had a similar problem with instructors removing the TAWS CB because the 'TAIL LOW' audio warning was driving them nuts when trying to teach in the hover. We then found that students were taking this bad habit away with them thinking it was the OK thing to do. We have to be alert to this kind of problem.

I hope this is not taken seriously
Refers to the notion that recovery from unusual attitudes can be assisted by the AP. If the AP's are not functioning then all this technique does is delay recovery at a time when things are becoming divergent - rapidly!

I spend less time checking the angle of bank because the AP will manage this for me if I have HDG engaged. Even without once set it will maintain until you get to the heading required allowing you to attend to your lookout.

Flying against the springs is OK but do it for too long and you get a "MISTRIM' CAS message. letting the springs roll you out is also OK but that's not how the aircraft was designed to be flown.

The beautiful thing about the AW design is that the beeper trim does not move the cyclic, just the aircraft attitude.

Looks like the Airbus guys went in one direction and AW in another.

G.