PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Bases
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2015, 03:23
RAT Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I worked on contract for QANtAS for a few years. No holiday pay, No sick pay. Just an agreed payment per day of work. If you missed a day you got docked and if you worked an extra one you got payed the extra. Just like any other contractor. You needed to supply them with an invoice each week for the claimed work and they would pay the invoice. Some guys even formed companies in order to avoid higher tax and other things. There is no requirement for them to abide by the labour laws when you are on a contract to provide a service. It's a dodgy fine line but it is one that is accepted. It's like hiring an electrician to fix a light. I am not saying the rumour is true. But I do know from experience that labour laws do not apply when you are a contracted pilot as opposed to an employed pilot. I know it's dodgy but it's what Qantas did. A few years ago it was possible. I am not sure if it's still possible now but it's plausible from my past experience. Enough to make me think it could happen and it wouldn't surprise me if it did...Based on previous history!

Last edited by RAT Management; 17th Dec 2015 at 03:28. Reason: Mistakes