PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windows 10 Update/Upgrade and CCleaner
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2015, 23:43
Tarq57

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KBPsen
There isn't a complete lack of control. Microsoft gives you the option to select which updates you don't want installed with this package.

By the way, one of the best, if not the best, ways to protect your computer is to keep it updated.
Downloaded it, thanks.

It's a bit of an "after the event" deal, though, from the description. I still see a lack of any real control over updates. And I know fairly well how (and why) to make sure programs on a computer are up to date.

Some of us like to have a squizz at the KB articles prior to applying updates, because (a) a particular update may not be relevant or necessary for a particular installation, (b) some, such as the MRT are pretty much a waste of time and bandwidth, (c) they can provide forewarning of unexpected or different behaviour.
Some of us like to wait a day or two (or more) especially prior to downloading non-critical updates, to see if any adverse effects are reported.

I wasn't a particular fan of W8.1, but this automatic updates thing might be sufficient for me to roll back to it.