PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which country for training?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2003, 06:34
bones1972

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I'm In Big Trouble!!

Had a trail flight the other weekend and now I'm totally hooked - and it ain't gonna go away until I start some courses - which is a shame 'cause that means I'm probably going to be broke for the next god knows how long!

So if you guys could spare some time for a poor confused Brit with whirling blades keeping him awake at night I'd be grateful for some honest advise to a few questions:

1, Three Schools keep standing out whenever I search the internet - Mazzei in Fresno, California ( Cheap with accomodation provided, good reputation) and Ocean in Palm Beach, Florida ( Bit more exspensive, run by a couple of ex-Brits, really helpful people, also good accomodation). Then one of Heliflight, HAI, and Hillsborough - which all offer the J1 visa. If any of you guys have any experience of these schools I'd love to hear a few comments / recomendations / criticisms. I was thinking of splitting my training between two different schools - would you recomend this?

2, What would be the conversion process back in the UK if I managed to complete a PPL,CFL,CFI, and CFII with say a total of 400 hrs total time? ( These hours hopefully coming from some instruction work in the States after completing the courses)

3, Can anybody recommend some informative magazines that would broaden my knowledge of Helicopter operations and experiences? Silly question but can't seem to find a dedicated magazine anywhere.

There's obviously loads more I'd love to know - but don't want to take up too much of anyones time.

Cheers all and thanks for any help you can offer,
Bones