PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANZ gets approved for 330 minute ETOPS
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2015, 21:35
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
The bit I dont get is-longer ETOPS=more fire bottles.

Surley the two are completely unrelatede and their should be the same number of fire bottles on any aircraft flying an ETOPS critical track like Nz-Arnetina which is 90 plus percent over nothing . Does losing an engine increase the risk of fire does havign two engines not four and flying exactly the same tracks-the 4 engine plane in theory can fly on an even more remote track and therefore is more vulnerbale toa fire on board but no where to land situation.

Sure aircraft engines are incredibly reliable even compared with early generations of fan jets BUT 330 mins is too far for me I am afraid and will one day end in a lot of tears but for the airline execs the sums are
-lots of other airlines do it so its unlikely to be mind that crashes
-I wont be here very long so will have likely moved on if there is a crash

- As we have all heard many times there are lies damn lies and statistics and,
As we have all heard on here many times 'its when the holes in the cheese line up'

To my mind we are pushing things a bit too far with this one , putting too much faith in statistics and allowing too much tolerance to a critical component failure scenario creating a pretty big hole in the cheese and making alignment of others that bit easier.

PB