PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC B707 ops in the 1960s
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2015, 21:17
ExSp33db1rd

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
My first trip to Moscow on the 707 was with a Captain who had been BALPA President during a "look-see" visit to Aeroflot operations during some previous negotiations - details I forget. Upon arrival in Moscow he made contact with a previous acquaintance from that meeting and shortly afterwards three Russians arrived, one Politburo member with some responsibility for Aeroflot, a uniformed Aeroflot official, and an interpreter who wore a never-to-be-removed flat cap and muffler, who resembled the cartoon character Andy Capp!

We were immediately whisked off to some smart restaurant where food and drink of the highest order - the likes of which I never saw again in Moscow - were produced, caviar, Georgian Brandy etc. Having gorged ourselves without restraint we were asked to say a few words regarding our first impressions of Moscow, but although our words were repeated by the interpreter it was obvious from facial expressions that no interpreter was really necessary, they were just going through the motions.

The Flt/Eng. asked how production of the Concorde rival, the TU 144 (?) was going. Immediately there was a change of atmosphere around the table. "We know nothing of a TU 144" was the reply. "You must do" said our F/Eng. " it's your most prestigious product to date, a rival to the Concorde" "We know nothing" was again the reply. A few well aimed kicks under the table shut him up, we clearly were not going to be told anything.

After a few brandies conversation became a little less restrained, and as it was just before the annual Red Square anniversary parade, we told the Politburo man that we would see shots of this on BBC television the next week, and that if he stood up in the VIP seating area and waved, we would see him ! He replied that he was too old, and that it would be too cold, and that he would be watching the parade on his colour televeision at home. I don't think I'd even bought my first B & W TV at that time !

After the meal we were poured into the Bolshoi Theatre to watch some operatic production. Our hosts said that tho' they could secure seats, even they couldn't get four sat together at such short notice. The F/Eng. and I did actually sit together, but the Capt. and F/O were in different parts of the theatre.

At the end of the first Act I remarked to the F/Eng. that although I was enjoying the spectacle and the music, I hadn't the faintest idea what the bloody hell the story was all about ? A very pretty, olive skinned woman ( i.e. not the usual hewn-out-of-solid Russian female form ) sat next to me then said " I will tell you what the bloody hell it is all about" and proceeded to give me the synopsis of the, specifically Russian, opera. I remarked upon her perfect English, Yes, she replied, I've lived in London. I said that that was unusual and she replied "for me that is no problem" We had obviously been "seeded" around the audience and deliberately sat next to someone who could overhear, and understand, what we might talk about. ( Paranoid ? Moi ?)

For some reason we positioned back to LHR as passengers on that occasion, and the operating Captain was the then 707 Flt. Mgr. On departure from the hotel we and the operating crew were stood at the hotel entrance waiting for the usual decrepit bus to take us to the airport when 2 large black Zlin (?) limousines drew up and we were summoned to take a VIP ride to the airport, leaving the Flt.Mgr. and his crew still awaiting the bus !!

During the flight I was summoned to the flight deck - "Don't tell him anything" said my Captain ! On the flight deck the Flt. Mgr. said " looks like you have some influential friends in Moscow ?" I told him nothing !

On another visit we were discussing the difficulty of obtaining breakfast, and our stewardess, an "older" lady from the BSAA Star Girl era said "I have breakfast in my room, on room service". Room service, in Moscow ? we retorted. Yes, she said, follow me, whereupon she marched down the corridor to the Dragon Lady, where it was then a bit like that Joyce Grenfell sketch where she describes two large ladies dancing bust to bust !

" I want breakfast in room 239 at nine o'clock ", our stewardess said, and proceeded to give her detailed menu order. The Dragon Lady pulled open a drawer, produced a piece of paper and wrote down the instructions. "See?" said our stewardess, "Easy".

One of the crew then asked for breakfast in room XXX at nine o'clock. Niet, said the Dragon Lady, 08.45, then proceeded to point to us all and assign a time, 08.30, 09.15 etc. At my appointed time and still in bed, my triple locked and chained door was burst open and an obviously disgruntled Russian maid dropped a breakfast tray on my bedside table and then held her hand out for a tip. Being naked in bed ( I lost too many pairs of pyjamas tucked under a pillow and forgotten on departure ! ) I pointed to my loose change dropped into my upturned hat - as one did - and she picked out a 2/- piece with an enquiring look, I nodded and she left. I got my breakfast in bed ! I never repeated the exercise.

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 18th Dec 2015 at 20:56.