PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC B707 ops in the 1960s
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2015, 18:07
Mike6567

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In June 1970, BOAC schedulng telephoned to let me know I was operating the next day to Moscow. I was to replace a Captain ------ (not operating as captain) who was unable to go.
This was to be the second service London Moscow (and on to Tokyo).
When I turned up at crew reporting the Captain was -----. who had already operated the first service a few days before. The other co-pilot, ----, and I thought it a little strange when Captain ----- went and bought some sandwiches in Terminal 3.
The flight to Moscow was OK but on arrival we soon realised what a miserable place it was (remember this was 1970). At the hotel (not yet the Ukraine) I think we had a couple of beers in someone's room and then ---- and I decided to go out for something to eat. We soon realised why Captain ----- had self-catered. Nothing, absolutely nothing, was available.
Over the next ten years I went to Moscow many times as co-pilot and then captain.
I heard the chandelier story many times, often from people who had never been to Moscow.
However we never found any evidence at the Ukraine - and I am sure when the story started plenty of other crews would have been looking under the carpets.
So, very sorry chaps, but I think the story is an urban legend.

Mike

At the request of the survivors the names have been removed.