PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cold temperature corrections on LNAV/VNAV minima
Old 16th Dec 2015, 16:01
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following is an example of how its done at an airport that the FAA has designated as a "cold temperature" airport. Burlington, Vermont is one such airport. Below I show the Jeppesen cold temperature correction chart and the Jeppesen chart for the RNAV (GPS) Runway 15 IAP. The assumption I make for this example is the airplane I am flying has IFR-certified Baro VNAV but not WASS (SBAS).

There are two separate temperature issues for flying to LNAV/VNAV minimums.

Note 2 are the temperature limits within which I must be to use the VNAV glide-slope to the LNAV/VNAV DA. Note 3 requires me to apply cold station temperature corrections below -14 degrees Celsius.

on a day when the airport temperature is -15 degrees Celsius I can still fly to LNAV/VNAV minimums but I must apply temperature corrections to the terminal arrival area in which I am arriving. I'll leave that calculation to others. My calculation for the intermediate segment is a 201 foot additive to the 2,000' minimum altitude. I have to advise ATC of the fact I am going to fly the intermediate segment at 2,200.' For the DA I will add 40 feet. I do not have to advise ATC of the DA additive.

Finally, if the temperature were below -19 degrees Celsius I would have to fly to the LNAV MDA with the appropriate additive from the chart to MDA and to the 1,020’ stepdown altitude: