PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Liberal Party wins, Bombardier wins
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2015, 15:44
Married a Canadian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downsview would be a disaster for a scheduled operation, particularly in IFR weather conditions. Anyone trying to depart or arrive would be beholden to finding a hole in the YYZ traffic, which is difficult to do at peak times.
Thankyou.....I always shudder from an ATC perspective when I read people suggesting Downsview as somehow being an alternate to City centre or Buttonville. Easy in VFR.....IFR...good luck in peak time. On the 06s it is a little easier as you just cancel departures....on the 24s...making a gap in arrivals....not so easy!

Pearson has reached capacity
In my opinion YYZ is no where CLOSE to capacity. How can an airport that has the land space Pearson does, the runway capacity, the terminal space(including the infield if reopened) be considered at capacity? 435000 movements a year...38 million odd passengers (I think)...while impressive is nothing compared to busier airports in the world.
I am back in the UK right now and flew through Heathrow...they cram 470000 odd movements a year plus almost double the passengers onto two runways with less space, and until recently a rather archaic terminal system. They are busting at the seams right now for sure....YYZ is nowhere close to that.

Plan B is to utilise Pearson more efficiently.