PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2015, 08:50
pettinger93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
danny42c

Re Dad's Kukri: Dad's weapon has no silver adornment, only a little detailed carving in the wooden handle. He told me that the blade was made for him in the Chindit base workshop by a Nepalese blacksmith from the leaf-spring from a truck: heated, beaten and and tempered by hand, and assembled by some of his Gurka soldiers. I gather that it was used in in action at one point, but Dad would never talk about that. My youngest brother Andrew has it now.

Would also like to praise the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. As I mentioned, they wee very kind to Dad. When arranging the visit, I imagined that we would just be shown around the edge of the hangar like any other visitor. However, we were allocated a senior NCO who took us to the Dakota, and helped us into it and showed around the aircraft. Dad was able to sit in the pilots seat, and talk for ages with the NCO. Afterwards we had an 'up close and personal' inspection of all the other Flight aircraft.

For a while, Dad could hardly speak through his emotions, and I cannot speak highly enough about the BBMF.