PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Argentine fast jet weapons choice - Falklands
Old 15th Dec 2015, 21:02
AndySmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Returning to the OP question, I finally had a reply from the A4B pilot I have contact with. I think the reason he took so long to reply is that they had their reunion at the weekend, and I guess he wanted to confer. Anyway, here is the translation of his reply to my questions - as per the OP.

"The pilots were well aware of the technological inferiority of their aircraft and the survival equipment with regard to carrying out attacks against the RN ships. We knew we had to minimise the time we were exposed to the radar and the anti aircraft artillery of the ships. With regard to the Zuni rockets, I can tell you that when it was analysed what we needed to do to carry out an effective attack against a target, it was necessary to carry out an attack at an angle in excess of 10 degrees and from a distance that serious compromised our chances of survival, as much from the anti aircraft fire as the shrapnel from our own rockets. It was concluded that an attack with bombs from very low level gave us the greatest chance of survival."

Cheers