PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2015, 20:16
Courtney Mil

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
A1bill,

Thank you for your reply. I have to say I don't fully understand the terms you have used; perhaps you could explain a couple of things for me. Your second paragraph first.

Originally Posted by A1bill
I can't provide the link ( i looked) but I saw a f-22/f-33 pilot say, on youtube I think? that the f-35 has better RCS in the search bands than the f-22, this implies the f-22 has better targeting band RCS and supports statements that the F-35 is second to the f-22.
When you say "the f-35 has better RCS in the search bands than the f-22" does better mean smaller? What are the "search bands" - 9.5GHz or significantly lower? Detection and targeting can be done down to the 225MHz band (and lower, but the technology may not be usefully discussed in this context); are you stating that F-35 RCS is optimised throughout that entire spectrum?

Originally Posted by A1bill
I guess they have the same data and testing ranges as they would have used for the F-22, I haven't seen the RCS and detectability of the F-22 questioned with what was done. The f-35 stealth data is fully shared with the partners and none have raised it as a concern that I know of.
Yes, it is reasonable to assume that the same range facilities are available to F-35; I assume you are referring to RCS measurement facilities?

You state that you "haven't seen the RCS and detectability of the F-22 questioned with what was done." Why do you think you would see that? It is, after all, one of the most classified areas of the design.

You also state that "The f-35 stealth data is fully shared with the partners and none have raised it as a concern that I know of." I'm very pleased to hear that as it was one of my major concerns, as you will have read in my previous post and several more over the years. Can you assure me that the stealth data has been fully evaluated over the entire sphere - all aspects and elevations - and over the full range of radar bands available to current air defence systems?

I'd also be very interested if you could tell me which partners have received disclosure and if there have been any caveats.

Thank you for your reassuring post. I look forward to your response.