PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do other airlines deal with SOP/callouts on Cat I
Old 15th Dec 2015, 14:44
Radu Poenaru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oicur12.again
You reach the MDA and can see the approach lights and the decision bar and several rows beyond that. But you cannot see the runway threshold lights.

Do you land?
Of course I will; but I live in EASA-land where all I need is visual ref with one of about 11 items.

Is there a visibility requirement for CAT I approaches? Yes. And that visibility is measured by very smart people on the ground and then reported to the pilots.

Is the pilot expected to measure/assess such visibility once he is at MDH/DA? No. He has no idea how to do it, we don't trust him to do it accurately, and he doesn't have the time:need to focus on the landing.

Is the pilot entitled to a go-around after assessing he does not have the required visibility if the runway is in sight? Well, you should always feel free for a go-around whenever necessary, so I'll answer yes. Especially if you feel you have a poor visual contact. Depending on airline you might have to explain it, though... and the chief pilot might not buy it.