PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First 100 Posts - Freebie 2016 Calendar
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2015, 07:23
Rwy in Sight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I read the first post I did not know what to answer (since unfortunately I am not a pilot) but the more I think the more reasons I get:

Because flying in a helicopter is much much more elite than airline flying and it is good to say around that I have flown in a hello

Because the first flight in a helicopter was from I think Laguardia (sp?) to JFK at the end of my first trips in the States. Fascinating experience and much more so because it was in a Pan Am chopper so within two weeks I had flown on both the largest and smaller Pan Am aircraft.

Because the second (and last so far) flight was so meaningless and unnecessary but joyful, fun and memorable that is really worth mentioning and saying it was great being on it. It was a positioning flight from a small Air Force field to a field outside a hotel. The Air Force was ok with allowing the chopper to use the field during daylight hours but not ok with letting the machine to overnight so it has to be flown out. I was offered a front seat on the flight (a few minutes duration) and it was terrific. It was really worth doing it even I missed a lift home by car and had to take the train - as a matter of fact the combination of chopper - train beat the boring car ride hands down.

Because when the Air Force has its open days and I visit the local SAR base (the main base of the country) they provide (as merchandising) the smartest t-shirts . The have one which in the front says the number or the Squadron and at the back the mention: "Only God has saved more". The colors are great too. And they also had one with a smiling UH-1 Huey and horse collar life jacket (I hope it makes sense other wise I have to put a picture).

Because when I has serving as a radar/TACAN tech in the Air Force the idea of oversleeping and not switching on the TACAN for the arrival of the Land Army's Apaches making me waking up several time during the night. As a matter of fact the Apaches arrival provided me with the most sleepless night during my service in the Air Force.

Because the apartment where I live is close to a heli-lane and I love the noise of the helicopters.

Because all though I have a long admiration for fix-wing aircraft the screen saver I have for my lap-top is one from the Helicopter arm of the National Navy and not an Air Force one.

Happy and full of employment 2016 for all of us.

Rwy in Sight