PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will New ADSB IFR Requirement Reduce Safety Even More?
Old 15th Dec 2015, 02:29
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
via Pontius:
I get it, FB, and I'm not disagreeing with the technology available nowadays to a terrorist with $$s in his pocket. What I am at odds with is the tenuous relevance to ADSB. You've managed to squeeze in your point because the drones use GPS, as does ADSB but, whereas it's obviously a favourite topic of yours, it really has nothing to add to Dick's question. Might I suggest you start a different thread and discuss your GPS drones there, rather than clog up the ADSB thread with irrelevance.

(And the gyros know where they are in the first place because you tell them, just like every inertial platform and you don't need GPS for that).
"it really has nothing to add to Dick's question..."

Oh, and here's me thinkin it do...

via Dick Smith:
...rather than spend the money in fitting the ADSB, they are going to simply take their aircraft out of the IFR category and only fly VFR...
...scud running all the time because of not being able to afford the cost of ADSB...
Pontius, Oz aircraft owners are getting a 'nav' system inflicted apon them by some incompetents more worried about their annual bonus. Now i woulda thought any factors that impact upon the "costs" of ADS-B are entirly relavent to Mr Smiths thread starter..

"(And the gyros know where they are in the first place because you tell them, just like every inertial platform and you don't need GPS for that)"

Pontius, there must be something i miss-understand about the 'gyros' you use. Lets run a scenario: An islamic nutter is out in the wilds of a little island just north of Oz and sets up his little bomb drone for a target in Darwin. Half kg ordinance payload and requires targeting accuracy of one cubic metre of airspace and within a few minutes of a set time.

Pontius, if the terrorist does not have the availability of GPS, will your 'gyros' be able to hit the target as per scenario?

And "the technology available nowadays to a terrorist with $$s in his pocket..."

Pontius, i suggest you actually research the subject. The 'cost' is peanuts. Like everything in life, terrorism gets cheaper by the day. And there is no 'peak' terrorism in sight..