PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2015, 11:15
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
This was the moment of truth for me
Post no. 10 from the memoirs of Tempest pilot Flt Lt Jack Stafford, DFC, RNZAF
A Hurricane shot past us and Gus left me to torture him. I could hear his voice: “Turn, you bloody idiot!” I breathed again, rasping gasps brought oxygen to my lungs and I felt as though I had played a game of rugby. I looked around to find myself alone over the Irish Sea. Where the hell was everybody? I saw a Hurricane above me and cautiously joined him. It was Opie from my flight and I slipped in beside him.

Scottie's voice came over the R/T calling gently and calmly. He was doing a large orbit of the area, gathering us up like a hen searching for her brood. We formed up and flew home in silence. My mind reeled, for that had been some experience! I could not believe the level of violence needed to escape death, to obtain victory when confronted by a persistent, determined and skilful enemy. How I learned that day, and what a man to learn from. How lucky I was.

We landed at Annan and assembled in the dispersal. Everybody was talking but nobody was listening. Excitement sounded in every voice, all I could do was listen. It was the moment of truth for me: so this is what it was really about. Through the crowd I saw Gus, he was looking around for me. “Good boy, Staff, you've got a chance!” And he walked away.

Weeks passed. We never stopped dogfighting, our skills were polished, our aggression honed and tempered. We knew exactly what we and our aircraft were capable of. Later we would join squadrons, and we would meet the Hun. He was as hard, as determined, and as skilful as Gus had said he was. Sometimes he killed us, sometimes we killed him.

Now I'm an old man coming to the end of my days on earth. I've had a long life. Maybe if I hadn't met Gus I would not have had all those wonderful years between 20 and 80. I never saw Gus again, but I met the Hun on equal terms thanks to Gus and others like him. I also came to owe much to the grandson of the Hurricane, the magnificent Hawker Tempest.

I don't know if Gus still lives, but I hope so. I have a feeling that he is still around, so I'll say God bless you Gus, wherever you are. Thanks for your help, and may your end come easy.
Jack Stafford continued his training with conversion onto the mighty Hawker Typhoon fighter-bomber, weighing six tons and powered by a 24-cylinder Napier Sabre engine of 2,400 hp. In November 1943 he joined 486 (NZ) Squadron at Tangmere as a sergeant pilot. Our next post joins him on his first combat sortie along the French coast.