PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar. Take-off FUBARed. Again.
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2015, 09:15
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Astra

Looking at our FCOM our RAAS is a lot dumber than the one you describe.

There are lots of warnings in our "book" about it's limitations, one being that at low ground speed it will tell you that you are on or approaching any runway in it's database - hence my comment in an earlier post about occasional nuisance warnings at JFK in certain circumstances. Certainly when departing from 22R, full'ish length, heavy, you can possibly end up approaching the 31R intersection before the RAAS groundspeed inhibit kicks in...so at around 60-70 knots and just as you're hopefully about to call "power set" you can get a "approaching runway 31 Right" RAAS call....... I've had that gem personally on two or three occasions in a 777-300.

There are also dire warnings in our FCOM about the fact that our RAAS certainly cannot do any dynamic performance analysis, though thankfully it will of course call out if you're on a .."short runway" (company defined fixed distance)..and also calls out distance remaining to runway end in the roll out.... it's got various other warnings but compared with what you describe we must have version 3.1...,

I'd hope the likes of the 350 must have version 10, it would certainly be interesting to know ...............

Last edited by wiggy; 14th Dec 2015 at 15:24.