Old 14th Dec 2015, 07:28
Georgeablelovehowindia
Death Cruiser Flight Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barry lloyd
Full story here: (Though it has been attributed to a Canadian basketball team):
http://betteronacamel.com/Russia-USS...rd-Garvie-1970
The above link doesn't work for me. Let's try this one: BETTER ON A CAMEL

Success ... and there's the trumpet blower on the camel at Kano, and ooh, an Argonaut getting airborne on a 'Curvature of the Earth' job! Now scroll down to Europe and 'Russia (USSR) Trans-Siberian Start-Up by Brian Burgess.' Brian has the facts correct, the only thing I would disagree with is that BEA had the Land Rover and the BOAC Representative USSR - the late Roger Moulding - had supplied to him a 1600E Ford Cortina automatic/white. (Moscow, winter, snow/slush, fines for having a dirty motor car i.e. not a very bright choice, eh?) Roger had a degree in modern languages, including Russian, and had spent his National Service in the RAF in Berlin, listening to radio traffic. Dead ringer for a 'spook' you might be thinking - as I did - but I'm assured that he wasn't.

I was the 'meticulous flight planner' posted with suitable winter clothing, and arrived aboard BA860 G-AWHU on 24th September 1970 for what proved to be a most interesting three months!

Last edited by Georgeablelovehowindia; 14th Dec 2015 at 07:55. Reason: Testing the link